|Photo by Gage Skidmore|
Let's look at some of the areas where he probably, if not already, will get himself involved in.
- Trade, the Economy and and Trade Deals >> He will probably scrap the TPP
- Taiwan-China issue >> Phone call with Madam Tsai will not be his last move
- Role of China in East Asia (e.g. expansion in the South China Sea) >> Let's see
- US positioning in East Asia (e.g. military basis and security role) >> The generals will probably not accept any hand-sitting
- North Korea >> Expect strong rhetoric, but I doubt this will result in much more than Twumping (a conflagation of Twitter and Trump), which is really more from the to-be-built media- and entertainment wing of the White House.
Most of the topics require skilled diplomacy, but that is surely not his strong suit and with an apparently penchant to choose either ex-generals or 'deal makers' (e.g. Tillerson), it's clear that the US-East Asia relationship is subject to significant changes in the coming four years.
Better buckle up and get ready for a dramatic and action-packed presidency, as Donald Trump exerts his influence on East Asia.
Looking forward to your comments.